Benefits Funds

Below are the answers to the most frequently asked questions about iron worker benefits.

Am I eligible for benefits?
Please call 1-800-527-4613 and ask for the member records department. A representative will verify your eligibility status.

How do I find a doctor or PPO provider for Residents outside California?
Contact First Health Network at or call toll-free 1-888-685-7774 from anywhere in the USA.

How do I find a doctor or PPO provider for Residents of California?
Contact Blue Cross of California at or call toll-free 1-800-688-3828 from anywhere in the USA.

What are my benefits?
For covered medical please refer to the summary of benefits - for dental refer to the dental fee schedule.

What is the status of my claim?
Please allow six to eight weeks from date of service before contacting the Claims department for status; otherwise you may contact customer service at 1-800-527-4613.

Do I need pre-authorization for in-patient hospitalization?
No, but pre-certification is mandatory. Please have your provider or the hospital contact First Health Network at 1-800-247-2898 if you not a resident of California, or contact Blue Cross at 1-800-688-3828 to pre-certify an in-patient hospital stay. Pre-authorization is required for some surgeries, such as breast, nasal, eye lid and stomach. Please contact the Claims department for instructions on how to obtain pre-authorization. Surgery should not be scheduled before authorization is completed.

Who pays my prescription drug benefits?
If you are on the Ironworkers Fee-for-service medical plan, all prescription drug benefits are paid by Prescription Solutions pharmacy program through a walk-in contracting pharmacy or you may use the mail order program. Some prescriptions require a letter of medical necessity. The letter from your doctor should be faxed to Trust Office at 1-626-792-7667 with the prescription written by the physician. Be sure the member's social security number is on the letter.

Do I have vision benefits?
Yes, members eligible under the Fee For Service plan, Health Net, and PacifiCare are covered by VSP or Spectera; you may contact VSP by phone at 1-800-877-7195 or, and Spectera by phone 1-800-839-3242 or to verify benefits and locate a VSP doctor near you. Members enrolled in Kaiser are covered by the group, please call or contact their member service department for more information.

How was my claim paid or what is the benefit in In-network and Out of network?
Please call 1-800-527-4613 to speak to a claims department customer service examiner for a response to your question.

How do I change my address?
If you are an active Ironworker your address can only be changed by completing a vacation application address change card if you are a retired ironworker, advise us in writing.

How do I apply for my vacation check?
A vacation application form must be filed with the Trust Fund Office.

Can I get my vacation check early?
No. Vacation checks are disbursed quarterly.

Can the IRS or FTB levy my vacation check?

Yes, federal statutory law states creditors may reach vacation funds at the time of a payout.

Is the mail from our office forwarded?
No! The post office no longer forwards your mail because of the return service requested.

How would I file a vacation claim?

Mail a copy of your check stubs to the Trust Fund Office.

Does the vacation application address change card require a witness signature?
No! It is not necessary.