Ironworker Training

How do I join the union?
If you are new to the trade, visit our section on becoming an iron worker. If you already have certifications, contact your local union to learn what your next steps will be.

How do I find my local union information?
Our union covers an area across from Vacaville, Calif., through most of northern Nevada, and from Ceres, Calif., up to the Oregon border. If you’re located in that area, you’ve found the right place. See the contact us section of this site if you need to get in touch with us.

Where do I find information about jobs?
For jobs in your area, contact your local hall. For jobs throughout North America, you can visit the Iron Worker JobLine.

Where can I get more information about apprenticeship programs?
Check out our section on becoming an iron worker and our programs, or visit the University of Iron Web site. If you still have questions, contact your local apprenticeship office.

Sacramento Apprenticeship Office

3524 51st Ave.
Sacramento, CA 95833
Phone: (916) 428-7420
Fax: (916) 428-7422

Reno Apprenticeship Office
1110 Greg St.
Reno, NV 89431
Phone: (775) 331-8696
Fax: (775) 331-8698

How do I apply for the Union Plus credit card?
Visit the Union Plus Web site for more information.

Where do I send my change of address?
Contact your local union hall to get a change of address form. If 118 is not your local union, click here to search the directory.

I am not receiving my Iron Worker magazine. Who do I need to contact?
Contact your local union. If 118 is not your local union, click here to search the directory.

Where do I send submissions to The Iron Worker?
Mail: The iron worker, 1750 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20006

How do I get information about legislation effecting iron workers?

To learn more about policies and legislation effecting iron workers, you can visit the Iron Workers  Legislative Action Center. To find out how to donate to causes supported by iron workers, check out the Iron Workers Political Action League.

How can I get iron worker merchandise?

We sell Local Union 118 t-shirts and some other iron worker merchandise at our local hall.

Where can I find information about Helmets to Hardhats?

Visit the Helmets to Hardhats Web site.

I am a contractor looking for information on IMPACT. Where can I find it?
More information about IMPACT can be found here. Or you can contact your local office for a brochure and information packet. To search the directory for your local union, click here.

Where can I find the wage rates?
Check out our benefits section. Note: these wages only apply to local 118 workers. Visit the national Web site for information about wages in other areas.

Where can I find a copy of the directory?
Visit the national Web site for a downloadable directory.

Where do I find information about scholarships?
Scholarships help the sons and daughters of iron workers to get a college education. Scholarships range from $500 to $5,000. For information about how to apply for the local scholarship, contact us. For the John H. Lyons Sr. scholarship, click here. And to apply for a Union Plus scholarship click here.

Can't find your answer?
If we didn’t answer your questions on this Web site, give us a call or drop us an e-mail. We’re always available to answer your questions.APPRENTICESHIP FAQS

What is the minimum age to apply?

All apprentices must be at least 18 years of age before they will be accepted into a program.

What are the minimum qualifications to become an apprentice?
You must be 18 years of age and be a high school graduate or have a G.E.D. When applying, you will also need to bring your driver’s license, state I.D. card or social security card with you. Other requirements are a willingness to work hard and a desire to learn.

How do I apply?
You must apply in person at one of our two apprenticeship offices.Sacramento

Office hours: M-F, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.
3524 51st Ave.
Sacramento, CA 95833

Accepts applications the 4th Wednesday of every month.
1110 Greg St.
Sparks, NV 89431

What do iron workers do?
See our section on becoming an iron worker.

What is the starting wage for an apprentice?

Apprentices begin at 60 percent of a journeyman’s wage, or $18.84 per hour.  Throughout their apprenticeship they will receive increases, working up to $32.56 per hour by their fourth year. Note: wages change from year to year as contracts are renegotiated. These wages were accurate as of May 1, 2008.

How long does an apprenticeship last?
In California an apprenticeship lasts 4 years, which includes work on the job site and classes.

Is there traveling involved?
The short answer is YES. Iron workers 118 covers the northern portion of both California and Nevada, from Ceres to the Oregon border and from Vacaville across most of northern Nevada. It is a large area, which means you’ll likely be working away from home for at least some portion of your apprenticeship.

What are the normal hours of work?
You can expect to work from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm 5 days a week. Many jobs work 10 hours per day, 6 or 7 days a week during the summer.

Is there an application fee?
There is no application fee, however you will be required to pay an initiation fee of $100 when you join the union.

Will I be drug tested?
Yes, all apprentices will be tested.